Bokoro High School

Bokoro High School
In front of my house

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Winding down...

I am having good luck with the internet today!

I have come to Hlotse for the weekend and the internet is always better! HL has a new volunteer here named Naomi and we have hit it off so I have down to visit her and to run some errands. This is indeed a small world as it turns out that we both attended Queens at the same time and have a mutual friend in common. Last night we had supper with one of the Peace Corps volunteers in Hlotse, Greg. This morning we woke up and found that we were unable to open the lockbok that chains the burglar bars closed...we were totally locked in! Luckily, Greag was coming by at 930 to pick up Naomi for an outing, and so he went and found a guy who had a hack saw, who, for the baragin price of $1.50, was able to saw through the chain to let us out! It was quite amusing to say the least. I have since bought a new lock for the chains...

The past few weeks have been a bit hectic as classes are now finished and we are heading into the mid-year exams. This week was busily spent setting exams. I had to set 5 exams, and with no computer, spent the evenings writing out my exams by hand by flashlight and candlelight. Our generators have kicked the bucket, so 'M'e Mapalesa brought her laptop to the school and we have been running the laptop off of a car battery to get the papers typed. My friend Mamoroesi and I just got this finished after school yesterday, and we then took the photocopier to the Education office in town where we have been given permission to use their electricity to run off the exmas. She will be there all day today preparing the exams for Monday.

We now head into two weeks of exams followed by a week for marking and writing report cards. The reports will be given out on June 21 and my friend Belinda arrives in Lesotho on June 23rd! We will travel in South Africa for 2 weeks before heading home.

Thankfully, the weather has warmed up so that it is now quite comfortable during the day. The evenings are still quite cool, but with the heater and extra blankets I am managing quite well.

Some of you have been wondering how I have been doing on a personal level. Overall I have been very happy. I love teaching these students and have enjoyed new friendships with the students and teachers alike. I have met many good people. I have stuggled with the problems, supported by some cultural beliefs, that are hurtful to women and children. Gender inequity and sexual violence make girls extremelly vulnerable, and I have been saddened by many stories of abuse and abandonement. But, I have also been impressed by some of the men who have regonized these problems and are rallying their people to confront them. One of my favorite things has been helping with the school HIV and AIDS awareness club. Knowledge is power, and it has been very exciting to see kids empowered by knowing the facts about HIV and AIDS. My biggest focus has been on dispelling the many myths surrounding the disease, and helping kids to develop the skills to identify correct information. It is so importatnt for kids to have a place to ask their questions. Discussing issues of HIV/AIDS and sex is socially taboo so many are missing important and life saving information.

I have already begun to get weepy at the thought of leaving these kids. One of the dear girls came to me to tell me that she had already let her parents know that when I leave she will go with me...At this I went back to my house and had a little cry. I have really fallen for the children of this country and have been very frustrated by the extent of poverty among children which makes it impossible to help everyone all at once... For each child in difficult circumstances there is one to match him or her.

My next post will tell you a few of their stories...

Sending lots of love...gwen

6 comments:

Kelly Stewart said...

love you

kel

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to having you home and sharing your pictures and stories. Keeping you in my prayers. Love, Marie

Unknown said...

It'll be good to see you again, Gwen. Your stories touch me deeply, and it breaks my heart that so many suffer. We are so far removed from that here, and it is so easy to lose sight of what real suffering is. Thank you for reminding me what is really important. Be safe, okay. Much love...

Steve

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your updates, Gwen. We have enjoyed your stories and have also been touched by them. We pray for safety for you and the children. Enjoy every minute of the rest of your stay. Love Aunt Janie

Anonymous said...

Hi Gwen,

I only became aware that you were away when I moved back to Ottawa in April. I have been working in Angola myself for the past 7 weeks, and am returning to Canada shortly. I had been talking with Belinda about catching a flight from Cameroon where I will be ferrying our airplane to this weekend and meeting you both, but the timing and availability of flights is not making this possible.

I really look forward to talking with you when you are back in Ottawa.

Take care, and please please please be safe in your travels!

Owen

Anonymous said...

Gwen,
Congratulations on your volunteerism in Lesotho. If the planet had more people like you --
it would be a peaceful, caring world.
Marilyn (Dad's cousin)