Bokoro High School

Bokoro High School
In front of my house

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Well, exmas are now finished and the schools have closed for winter holidays. The exam period was very busy and somewhat stressfull. We encountered problem after problem with computers and photocopiers, but managed to get all exams written more or less on time. I spent a full week going back and forth to the Education office in town where I worked with my friend and colleauge, Mamoroesi, frantically typing, printing and photocopying exam papers. It was stange to be in town so much and working with office equipment. I did get to change my cellphone regularly, which came in handy when 'M'e Mapalesa would call to beg us to stop working and come home, or when Graham called because he had some tissue stuck in his ear and didn't know what to do...(Francis was able to remove it with some pliers)

The last day of exams a few students presented poems that they had written for me and I spent a lot of time having pictures taken with different groups of kids. I was also able to chat with a few students about their futures and encourage them to keep working hard. One of my Form D students walks 2 hours each way to school EVERY day. She confided her fear of walking alone in the dark to me, and said that some evenings she is too tired to read vey much. I am hoping that with a new dormitory, she will be able to live at the school to finish her studies. I also played a fabulous game with some girls where each team tries to build and knock down a pile of stones, and generally just enjoyed being with the students that day.

On the weekend Graham and I went to a town called TY, wher my friend Mamoroesi is from. I met her fmaily and her young daughter and we went to visit some cave houses at Ha Kome, where her grandother lives. It was a very nice weekend and a nice change.

Now I am making my preparation for leaving, and also for the arrival of my friend Belinda, who come to Lesotho on Saturday. I also have about 200 exam papers to mark...which means, I should probly get going!

sending lots of love,
gwen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gwen:

Wow, can't beleive that you are done. I am sure you have left a life long impression on them and made all of your readers in Canada realize that we have all won the "lottery" by simply being born in Canada

Anthony

Unknown said...

Another reminder of how important is to keep our perspective... thanks, Gwen... hope you have a nice trip through South Africa with Belinda..

Steve