Bokoro High School

Bokoro High School
In front of my house

Saturday, April 28, 2007

The weather is changing. Today is very cold and clear. I am wearing four layers of clothing and am still a little on the chilly side. I have a paraffin heater for my house, and I keep meaning to buy some fule for it, so I have not yet lit it. Graham has one also and it is apparently quite necessary in the next few months.

Transportation here is such a challenge! Last weekend one of the boarders fell ill and on Sunday we decided to take her to the doctor. Neither the school truck nor the Principal were around so I went together with another teacher, Francis, who also lives on site. In the end we took another student with us who had been injured in a soccer game the day before. There is a white shopkeeper whose family has lived in Lesotho for the last 100 years, part of a group of white traders who arrived in the early 19th century. He says he is one of the only ones left at this point as Lesotho has grown more and more poor. Anyway, this man, Digby, showed up to take me to see his house and shop as he had been wanting to do for several weeks. He also agreed to drop us at the road junction on the way to the Seboche Hospital, about 12-15km from school. Seboche is a village nestled among some hills. You go up an dup and up, and then down and down and down into the valley to the hospital. It happened to be a day where I had almost no cash on me, road junction with the students and waited for a taxi. Before long, we got a lift in the back of a pickup truck with about 9 other people. At the hospital we were seen by a Congalese Doctor and two interns, one from England and one from Switzerland. The Congalese Doctor was delighted to find out that I was Canadian as he could then speak French with me. He and his family had fled the French Congo to escape the violence, and had been in Lesotho for 5 years. Francis arrived some time later after having to walk quite a distance on foot. We had just enough money to pay for the fees and the medication. Whew! On the way home, we were very unlucky with transportation and had to walk the entire way back to Khukhune. It took about 2 hours. I quite enjoyed the walk, but I felt so badly for the two students, neither of whom were felling very well at all, but the soldiered on without a word of complaint. At Khukhune we were picked up by a taxi that was going for repairs, and fortunately took pity on us, and drove us up the hill to the school.

I gotta run- sorry for such a short post. The stores close in 30 minutes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're doing well, Gwen. :) I was just showing some of the boys in my class your blog. They were just asking about you. Mahdi even remembered your birthday!! Anyway, take care of yourself...

Steve

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, I shudder every time I read how difficult life is in Lesotho. I admire you so much for being willing to do what you're doing, and even more for the fact that you seem to be enjoying it! I will continue praying for you every time I have to wait for something! I'm so looking forward to your return. We pray for you every time in house group. Take care, and be well.
Penny

Anonymous said...

Hi Gwen, I got your blog address from Alyssa, with whom I reconnected via Facebook -- the wonders of the internet! I very much admire your courage and your work. I'd like to email you and catch up but first and foremost, (I feel incredibly cheesy about this) I've been haunted by the phone bill debt. Let me know how I can repay you.
-jes
jes_fung {at} hotmail {dot} com