Bokoro High School

Bokoro High School
In front of my house

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Back in the saddle again...

I am writing from Hlotse as I have come in for the night to have a visit with Peg Herbert, the Director if Help Lesotho. Peg has been in Lesotho for two weeks in a remote part of the country where there is a new group of Youth Against HIV/AIDS being trained. It is rainig cats and dogs right now, and tis is worth mentioning since it is the most water I have seen since arriving. The summer or "rainy season" has been very very dry and despite impressive thunder and lightning displays, there is rarely enough rain to moisten the ground. This storm has been advertising for a few days though, as on the weekend it was very stormy with high winds , thunder and lightning and at one point, hail.

Last weekend I was supposed to go to Maseru for the last track meet. We had about 12 students qualify. I was all ready to go at 7am. I was to go on a hired taxi with 15 students and another teacher. When the taxi arrived all of the boarders came racing from the dorms (unlike me, they had been up for hours)and surrounded the taxi and danced to the heavy beat of the stereo. When we were all loaded we were in fact over the limit by one person and so one person had to stay behind- moi. It was a bit disappointing but I didn't really want to be in charge of 15 students since I had no idea where we were going and no way of communicating with the driver.

Instead, I went with Graham and Sacharia to Bethemlem where Graham bought a drum set. Yes- a set of drums. He didn't think he live another moment wihtout them. He spent the rest of the day setting them up. Later that afternoon I was wheeling my wheelbarrow full of water jugs back to my hut when I heard him begin to play. Within moments all of the boarders had left their dorms and had disappeared one by one in to his rondavel. I joined them and soon we were all dancing around his house- what fun!

I have been trying to expand my teaching methods as I am quite bored by reading and writing notes. Group work is quite difficult since the classes are very big. Nd as I have mentioned before, there are very few resources. I decided to have my 55 student bible class act out the Fall of Jericho. I divided them in half and sent one group outside to practice. As they left the class, one boy announced to me that he was going to play the role of the Lord God. I said fine. When I went out to see how they were progressing, the "Lord God" had climbed a peach tree from which he was directing his flock! I had a good chuckle at this.

We had some good news this weeks as a delivery of 100 new desks and chairs arrived from the government. This was very needed as in Form A the studens are practically sitting on top of each other. They look much more comfortable now, and are three to a desk instead of 4 or 5. We also heard that the LEC (Lesotho Electricity corp) had begun to install electricity!! This is purely the result of 'M'e Mapalesa's steady petitioning. There may even be electricity by the end of the month, but I won't hold my breath.

I received news that my school in Ottawa, Gloucester High School, has held a penny drive and has raised over $2000!! Way to go GHS! I am very proud and touched by your efforts and generosity. When I read the email form Jen German I have to admit that it made me cry a little bit! While in Lesotho, I have been constantly aware of the thread of humanity that binds us all together, and it has been this awareness that is making my life rich. To share and give to others is to share in our humanity and you GHS have done this, and it makes me proud. I believe that to truly live in a global world we need to appreciate what we have and to also give where we can. I think it makes our hearts bigger.

Thank you for your participation in this adventure of mine; it is so nice to walk together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apr 26'th
Hi Gwen,
Got your letter today that you wrote to us on Feb 26'th! Not bad, just 2 months to get here .... Thanks so much for making the effort to send snail mail. Your blog is clearly to best way for us to keep up to date.... Spring has arrived at last. The grass is now green and the trees are now budding. God bless.

Uncle Ken & Aunt Mary

God